Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 10, 2009

51-60

In a rush, heading off to eat steaming hot plates of Indian food, so this will be brief.

51. Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg
Billy Bragg really does write the best lyrics, and one of the best bits about this song is when you hear him play it live he changes the content to suit contemporary politics.

52. Groove Is In The Heart - Deelite
Believe it or not, this is considered by many to be my theme song.

53. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
I could have picked Leonard Cohen or KD Lang's version of this, but I have a soft spot for Jeff

54. Happy House - Siouxie and the Banshees
My Goth roots shining through

55. Happy When It Rains - Jesus and Mary Chain
Ditto

56. Hazy Shade of Winter - Simon and Garfunkel
I like the line about the Salvation Army Band with the little trumpet. The Bangles did an all-things-considered not too bad cover of this that appear in the film Less Than Zero, based on the Bret Easton Ellis novel, a book and film that were icons for me and my teenage friends, and was included on an extended research piece I did for Year 12 English on contemporary American authors.

57. Heart's a Mess - Goyte
This is an odd choice for me, but there's something sad and dark about this that I like. Apparently he plays all his own instruments, if you know what I mean. His name's pronounce like Gautier, as in Jean Paul, but apparently it's Flemish for William or something.

58. Henry Lee - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Looooooovvvvvvvveeeee Nick Cave. This was a somewhat random pick. Most of Abattoir Blues or Henry's Dream could have made it.

59. Heroes - David Bowie
I love the chorus to this. Apparently it's the way vocal gates were set up on a series of mics in the studio that did it.

60. Hey - Pixies
Hey, been dying to meet you!

No comments: