By today I've come to a realisation. An epiphany if you will.
My favourite thing to eat really could be toast.
I love toast.
As I was waking from my afternoon snooze, and thinking about maybe indulging in my third serve of toast for the day, I wondered: could you live off toast? And so I started to make a list of all of the things you can have with toast to see how many food groups I could come up with:
- Mushrooms on toast
- Cheese on toast
- Toast with vegemite
- Cinnamon toast
- French toast with poached pears, berries and ricotta
- Toast with figs and mascapone
- Bananas and honey on toast
- Mince on toast
- Soup with toast (hundreds of vegetable options)
- Cheese and tomato on toast
- Beans on toast
- Toast with onion gravy (don't knock it if you haven't tried it)
- Eggs on toast (poached are my favourite, but they're hard to get right so I normally do them scrambled)
- Cream cheese and HP sauce on toast
There's a lot of variety on my list, protein, vegetables, fruit, dairy, pulses. Maybe it's possible. And so many sorts of bread to toast: a lovely nutty rye, a rich sourdough, a gloriously chewy baguette, sharp fruit loaf, olive bread, ciabatta, battard - the list is endless.
So my challenge to you is have toast for breakfast tomorrow, and let me know your favourite thing to do with toast. All suggestions welcome (and possibly tried and posted - if I'm not busy eating toast).
Tomorrow morning I'm having mushrooms on toast.