Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 21, 2009

another list, but this one has rhythm

Polling is on for the Triple J Hottest 100 of All Time. This event is bound to cause heated front bar discussions, pointing of fingers and thumping of tables. At least it has in my world in the last couple of days.

So to bear my soul, wear my heart on my sleeve in a way that could not be any more meaningful, here are the ten songs that I was able to narrow down to my top 10. Some are classics, some are new favourites and some are in here just because of the way they changed the musical landscape.

In no particular order:

1. Joy Division - Transmission
2. Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #1
3. Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
4. The Go-Betweens - Bye Bye Pride
5. My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise
6. Okkervil River - Black
7. Pavement - Loretta's Scars
8. The Pixies - Hey
9. The Saints - Know Your Product
10. The Smiths - How Soon is Now

Left, heart bleeding on the cutting room floor:
The Cure - 10.15
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Henry Lee
The Stone Roses - Bye Bye Badman
Jesus and Mary Chain - Happy When It Rains
Leonard Cohen - So Long Marianne
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
The Charlatans - Only One I Know
The Beatles - Day in the Life
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated
The Go! Team - Bottle Rocket
Husker Du - Don't Want to Know
Happy Mondays - Wrote For Luck

... and many more.

2 comments:

A Free Man said...

God, that's a hard list to make. I don't know if I could do it. I may try..,.

Kitty said...

It is more painful that you can know. Trying to decide if the Smiths or Leonard Cohen mean more to you is like cutting off a limb. I assume. I've never cut off a limb.

On the JJJ website there are lists of all the other songs that people have voted for, which jut makes it worse, as you suddenly remember that critical track you left off your list.

I left the Wedding Present's Corduroy off my cutting room list. Horrible ommision. Horrible it didn't make the top 10!

Have decided to have a Top 50 party all of my own. Make my own list and spend all weekend playing them.