Not one. No, no. This recipe is for TWO cakes.
Lemon Syrup Cake
2 2/3 cups plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/3 cups sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
6 large eggs
2/3 cups heavy cream
zest two lemons
210g melted butter, cooled
(for the syrup)
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
juice of the aforementioned lemons
Getting it to-geth-ar (to be said in the style of a gansta rapper)
- Preheat to 200C and butter and flour TWO cake tins
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder ensemble
- Rub the zest into the sugar til it's aromatic and gorgeous and then add the vanilla
- Add the sugar to the eggs and whisk until thick and combined
- Fold in the dry ingredients, pour into the tins, smooth out and bake for around 55-60 minutes
- If they get a bit brown on top early (as mine did) cover them with a little foil cubby house
- Once the cakes are in the oven make the syrup. It's tricky. Put everything in a saucepan, stir til combined, bring to the boil. cool. Testing - isn't it?
- When the cakes are done cool on a rack before turning out.
- Pretend the cakes are someone you don't like. Your boss, your best friend's boyfriend, the outgoing US president, and stick them all over with a skewer and slowly brush (don't pour) the syrup over
- Bask in their glory and your brilliance.