i would like to start by saying that the results of this baking enterprise are in no way a reflection of kate, the clean plate club or cookie carnival (or biscuit bivouac - i'll come up with a better name), in any way, shape or form. the results can rest only with me.
it was a total and utter failure.
but let's start with the recipe. raspberry swirl biscuits (makes approx 2 doz)
2 cups self raising flour
1tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn salt
125g butter, room temp
1 cup caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1/2 coconut flakes
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- beat the butter and sugar together until creamy
- beat in the egg and vanilla
- sift in the flour, salt and baking power and beat until moist clumps form
- gather the dough into a ball on the bench top. flatten and shape into a rectangle
- wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (or overnight if you like)
- remove from fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- mix jam and coconut together and spread over dough
- roughly chop the walnuts and sprinkle over the top
- roll dough up along the long edge, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for another 30 minutes
- unwrap the log, discard the ends and cut the remaining dough into 2cm rounds
- place cut sides down, 3cm apart on trays covered with baking paper
- bake for approx 20 minutes at 180 degrees, or until golden on the bottom
i'm not sure if my dough was too cold, or too warm, or do dry or too sodding something, but it all crumbled and broke apart. i didn't so much roll it up as fold it over. i must say they taste much better than they look.
you know that bit in elephant man, when he says "i am not an animal.." they look a bit like that.
the photo doesn't help. it's too late, i'm too tired and it's still too bloody hot here for me to muck about with lighting so they look very dried out (as an aside i'd like you all to note the article about the heat i've linked to is from thursday. today is saturday).
on a cheerier note, i also made some cupcakes tonight. i don't have the right ingredients for the icing, so i'll let you know about that, and sunday's round dinner party tomorrow. that's right. round dinner party